Identify if the person is in crisisand support the individual in their journey to recovery.
MHFA Training Toowoomba
Mental Illness in Australia
Based on the Australian Bureau of statistics, around 7.3 million Australians aged between sixteen and eighty-five are suffering from a mental health illness in any one year. This equals to one in five. The main form of mental health problems are depression, anxiety, alcohol and substance use, and psychosis. Mental Health problem is a common illness in Australia.
Mental health problems have an effect on a person’s emotions, behaviour, thinking, motivation and interaction with other people. People living with mental illness might not be diagnosed in some cases. This may cause increasing physical health, loss of employment, relationship breakdown and school drop outs. Lack of knowledge, understanding and stigma about mental illness may cause people to avoid professional help.
We all have someone who is close to us and experiencing mental illness. Standard MHFA training will provide information on assisting a family member, colleague, friend with a mental health illness or in a mental health crisis, till the person receives specialised assistance from professionals, or the crisis is under control for now.
This evidence-based training program is established with the contribution of mental health specialists, academics, and consumer advocates, written by MHFA Australia based on international MHFA guidelines. MHFA training, is delivered at Toowoomba, by an accredited trainer.
Standard Mental Health First Aid Course Toowoomba
Mental Health First Aid training explains to learners how to provide preliminary support to the persons who are developing a mental illness or experiencing a common form of mental health crisis. Participants will acquire knowledge in signs and indications of mental health problems:
- substance use disorder
Participants will also learn MHFA action plan on how, what, when and where to administer mental health first aid.
MHFA training utilises evidence-based research and explains a potential crisis occurring due to the mental health illness with a hands-on first aid response.
Crisis situations that are covered by this first course are suicidal thoughts and behaviours, non-suicidal self-injury, panic attacks, traumatic events, severe psychotic states, severe effects from alcohol or other drug use, aggressive behaviours.
Benefits of MHFA training
Learners of this first aid course will gain knowledge and skills to identify a mental health crisis, and provide appropriate response to support the individual in their recovery and return to work outcomes which include:
- Awareness of just how common mental health issues are among communities.
- Increased knowledge in mental illness
- Recognise if our friends, families or colleagues are suffering from mental illness
- Support our friends, families or colleagues who are suffering from a mental health crisis or condition when professional assistance is not available.
This MHFA training course is delivered by an accredited MHFA Instructor, and is delivered over a 2-day period (12 hours)
Course Fee: $295 per person + GST
MHFA Training Course Locations in Toowoomba
We are offering Standard Mental Health First Aid Training course in 2 different locations in Toowoomba.
- Toowoomba City Library Building Level 3 155 Herries Street Toowoomba 4350
- Aurora Training Institute: 49 Annand Street Toowoomba QLD 4350
- 11-12 July 2019 08:30 -16:00 Aurora Training Institute
- 6-7th August 2019 08:30 -16:00 Aurora Training Institute
- 28-19th October 2019 08:30 -16:00 Aurora Training Institute
- 28th-29th November 2019 08:30 -16:00 Aurora Training Institute
- 9-10th December 2019 08:30 -16:00 Aurora Training Institute